Sunday, July 5, 2009

My Pirate Girl!

Dear Miss Jules,

What a lover-ly pirate you make! And what a lover-ly time you, Mai Mai and Baba must have had at the island! It's such a wonderfully beautiful place... particularly at sunset. Did you see any big boats go by while you were there? Your great grandma, Grandma Jerry, used to love to watch the big boats. It always seemed like they were floating by just for her. I hope a few of the big boats floated by for you too.

Here in Taos it's been a busy, busy few days. We've found lots and lots of clues out in the gorge. It's sort of like the clues game we sometimes play on the way to school except that rather than cigarette buts and chewing gum we keep finding little broken bits of bowls and tiny flakes of stone. The place we've been working lately also has lots of pictures on the rocks. And do you know what? A whole bunch of the pictures are of little men holding lightning bolts in their hands. (Sort of like the way Zeus holds lightning bolts in your book of Greek myths.) Anyway, there are also lots of circles of rocks, and we're kind of thinking that this particular spot was where members of the Lightning Society at Taos Pueblo (they actually do have Lightening People in Taos) came down to throw big parties for all the young boys who were about to become Lightning People. And these would have been really important parties because it's the Lightning People who help make the rain fall so that all the plants will grow. Speaking of... how are OUR plants growing? Are the tomato and petunia plants getting big? Are you watering them every day? I sure hope so. 

The photographs below I'm including because each of them has something to do with you. The first is the tipi that I purchased for us out here. The students are sleeping in it this summer, but when you come out to Taos next year, you can use it as a fort. We'll call it "Fort Jules" or "Tipi Jules" or whatever you think sounds best. The second photograph is of a whole bunch of little baby chicks that just came to New Buffalo. Later this week we're going to help set up a big chicken coop (or chicken house) for them so they can grow up and give us a few eggs. Next summer they should be all grown up and we can make "Eggs Papou" with the eggs they give us. And... the last photograph is of Hannah, Annie and Jeff in the Buffalo Room. I was trying to get them to learn Buckets of Rain for you... but I have to say that you sing it so much better. Every time I listen to the recordings of you singing I get all sentimental inside. You are my very favorite little girl. You're beautiful and wonderful and I love you all the way around the world. 

Give Mama a big kiss for me,

Your Dada



No comments:

Post a Comment